Monday, August 9, 2010

Invasively Informative...

Another tale in the epic saga of a constant advice giver....

That’s right, it’s me again. Classic meddling, interfering, advice giver.

Yesterday, while we were in BabiesRUs scoring the diaper deal of the year, we bumped into a couple who were clearly trying to get ready for their own little guy to arrive. They were if-fily (yes, I just made that word up.) shopping for diapers. You could practically see the question marks floating around both of their heads. Clearly, they wanted help. (Or so I will continue to tell myself) So I offered.

And again, it was everything I could do not to exchange emails or follow her around the store all day giving her all the helpful hints I could come up with.

The funny thing was, I think she would have welcomed it. She kept saying things like, “I don’t know anything. I just wish I knew more about what to expect.”

Our husbands, however, not so much. Within the first minute or 2 of our conversation, Techy started whispering, “Okay, Leah. Okay.” And her hubby’s body language was practically shouting discomfort.

Finally, I tore myself away from my semi-engaged audience, thinking all the while, “There were so many things I wish I could have told her….” But you know, that’s life and I didn’t get to, and her husband would probably have been really grossed out at all the gory details, and she probably would have fainted on the floor. Let’s face it, not everyone is ready for my abject honesty.

Wonder how long this advice giving phase will last…. Has it always been there? Or just since I had a baby and deemed myself the resident expert?

2 comments:

slt said...

Leah! You crack me up! I can just picture this scene taking place...hilarious!

Unknown said...

Yeah, I find myself feeling like this too and sometimes I restrain myself and sometimes I do, but too late. Sigh. Knowledge is a powerful thing

Tracy