Saturday, August 14, 2010

Family as Friends and Friends as Family

When Techy and I got married almost 5 years ago, I don’t think either of us had an inkling of the friendships that were waiting for us. Between our family members and our friends, we have to be some of the luckiest people I know.





Techy is probably more comfortable with my family than I am. He is one of those people who loves to talk on the phone and if he catches me on the phone with my sister or my mom, he will say, “Can I talk? How are they? What are they doing? Can I talk? Can I talk? How are they? What are they doing? Can I talk? Can I talk? How are they? What are they doing? Can I talk? Can I talk? How are they? What are they doing? Can I talk?” Until I finally hand over the phone and let him chatter their ear off. You’re welcome, guys…. I consider my mom and sister to be 2 of my best friends in the whole wide world, and to be honest, I think Techy feels the same.





Then there’s Techy’s family. (Sorry for the WRETCHEDNESS of that 2nd photo, but it was the ONE picture we got all together in Vegas and the person who took it had their hand over the flash.) We absolutely ADORE them. Techy’s sister and I are closer than I ever would have imagined. I love her! We talk probably once or twice a week, despite the 3 hour time difference and despite the fact that we both hate talking on the phone – thank God for IM and texting! And let’s not forget the BIL. Sarah’s hubby and Techy can be like one and the same person. It gets a little ridiculous really. The last few visits with them has consisted of at least one full day of video gaming for the guys. To say that we get along with them would be a little bit of an understatement.

But then there are the others.

The people who somehow got adopted to our family.

The people who somehow adopted us into theirs.

I think it’s rare to have friends who you are comfortable enough with to consider them your family.

But we have a few.

People we hang out in our pj’s with.

People whose house is as much our home as our own is.

People who would say the same of us (I think).

So here’s a shout out to those people.

For loving us like a family whether we are or not. We love you too!

No comments: