Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Beauty for Ashes

If you scoot around blogland at all, you probably have heard about Edie, who lost her home In a fire just days before Christmas.

I was not a follower of her blog before.

In reality, I had never heard of her.

But I started reading her posts over the last few days....

And this post took me to my knees.

And I was reminded of something.

In our darkest days, we have a God of promise and restoration.

It hasn't been so long that our family had our share of dark days.

It hasn't been so long that I went to God looking for explanations and only received these words.

 1 The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me,
   because the LORD has anointed me
   to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
   to proclaim freedom for the captives
   and release from darkness for the prisoners,[a]
2 to proclaim the year of the LORD’s favor
   and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn,
 3 and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
   instead of ashes,
the oil of joy
   instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
   instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
   a planting of the LORD
   for the display of his splendor.
 4 They will rebuild the ancient ruins
   and restore the places long devastated;
they will renew the ruined cities
   that have been devastated for generations.

Promises.

Beauty for ashes.

I have lived it.

And I pray that Edie experiences it too.

Beauty for ashes.

And I send this out today, along with all the other bloggers in the world, in honor of her special day.

Check out their posts too! But have a box of Kleenex handy!
Happy birthday, Edie!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I so needed to hear or read that!