Monday, July 12, 2010

In the beginning was the Word

Last night, Techy and I {and a couple of our closest friends} watched “The Book of Eli”.

Seen it?

If not. Stop reading and go watch it. Otherwise, I am going to completely ruin the whole premise of the movie.

I was completely moved.

Very rarely is the Bible portrayed in a good light. Much less as something worth fighting for.

And in this movie, it is the treasure.

When it was over, I felt like I needed to grab my old KJV and hug it to my chest.

It is something we take for granted. Something that has been around forever. But what if it was taken away. What would the world be like? What would you be like?

There were a few things that really touched me, though.

Throughout the movie, the comment is made that we are to walk by faith and not by sight. What would happen if we did? If we were so in touch with our faith that it was palpable. That it guided where we go and what we do…. But it’s so difficult in this world. We are so caught up in the actual visual world around us….

Finally, I am compelled by a single phrase from one little verse – a verse that wasn’t even quoted in the movie at all – “I will hide your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.” Whether now or 35 years from now, there will come a time in my life that I need the guidance that can only be gained from my Bible at a time when I don’t have access to one.

I remember when my Great Grandma Price was in the hospital, she was a nervous wreck without her Bible. Mom and sister stayed up with her into the wee hours of the morning quoting scripture to her. She would say a verse or two, mom would quote one that she remembered, Sarah would quote one. And Grandma was finally calm, peaceful, and able to rest.

I guess I can’t really begin to explain to you the cord that movie struck in me. But trust me when I say it shook my little Southern Baptist world.

The Bible is valuable. It is earth changing and powerful.
Sad that it took the thought of not having it to make it valuable to me.

No comments: