Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Meat of It All

I grew up in a home of hunters.

And every year, around this time, we could expect to come home and find a deer hanging from our deck. 

Yes.  It was bizarre.

But we didn't know that.

We actually looked forward to it.

Because it meant something special to us.

It meant another winter with meat stocked in the freezer.

It meant another year of deer jerkey.

And it meant alot of deer burgers and vegetable soup.

And I loved it. 

So you can imagine my joy when I got a call from my brother in law asking me if I wanted to split a deer with him....

Followed quickly by a text from my brother who also killed his first deer of the season yesterday.

I haven't had deer meat in like 4 years.

And now I have plenty of it coming to a freezer near me.  (A.K.A. In my garage....) (A.K.A. The one seen HERE)

I haven't smiled this big since the week that I lost 5 lbs. 

Oh wait, that never happened....

YET.

Oh well.

But you get it...

It's the simple things in life....

Really, simple.

2 comments:

Kait said...

I've only ever had deer jerky. It's yummy! Enjoy your deer! :)

Roberta said...

Years ago my DH was a hunter...but mainly because we lived in the cold north and there was nothing else to do...lol I've made so many pots of deer stew and burgers and my DH favorite was the filets. I think I understand how you feel...it's the feeling of not being dependent on any other source for your food supply...just a basic feeling of being self-sufficient. Or maybe it's just us going back to our roots of Clan fo the Cave Bear..lol