Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Daddy - No other title fits just right....

With Father’s day fast approaching, I want to talk about one of my heroes, my Daddy….

See this guy?

He’s MY daddy. Well, and my sister’s and my brother’s but still, he’s mine.

And he’s a pretty awesome Dad.

The poor guy, he had 2 girls for a really long time before the boy came along. But he was so good with us. He babysat us, he taught us to play ball and fish and watch football…. All the important things in life. He taught us about the Civil War and what the South was really fighting for. (It wasn’t all about slavery, people. If you don’t believe it, ask my dad!) He took us sledding and taught us how to build a fire. He taught us how to punch boys. He taught us to always be on time. Man, has he been an awesome dad. I am so thankful for my Daddy….

And to be honest, all of that almost never happened.

You see, my daddy was a police officer. A real life, Sheriff’s Deputy. And almost 17 years ago, he was serving a paperwork on someone when the would be defendant opened fire on Daddy.

When the bullet actually hit Dad, he didn’t really know it. He was actually hit twice. One bullet grazed the side of his head, taking his glasses off. That really didn’t set well with him – Daddy has a little bitty temper, you see. And he got a little upset. So like any level headed police officer, he broke down the front door, barreled through the house, dragged the guy out and managed to handcuff him, never knowing that he had been hit in the neck.

When they took him in for surgery to remove the bullet, the doctor was amazed. He went on and on about what a miracle it was.

You see, the bullet had come to rest right on Daddy’s coratid artery. It was just chilling up against it.

Now, I don’t know how much you know about anatomy, but apparently this is one of the main arteries that carries blood from the heart to the brain. Had it been severed, Daddy would never have walked away from that.

Now, I know what you are thinking…Man, did you have to go and drag up the dark stuff again…. And I know what you mean. I hate the dark stuff.

So instead of being all dark about it, let me put it in perspective.

I didn’t lose my Daddy that day.

And not one day goes by that I take that for granted.

Because, you see, my Daddy is one of my best friends.


We have laughed together.



We have cried together.



We have been through some pretty tough times together.

He has been pretty rough on me throughout the years, and actually, I am so thankful for it.

I have been pretty rough on him from time to time when he needed it too.

Did I mention that I am really thankful for my Daddy?

But I love my Daddy.

And he loves us.

And he really likes his grandbabies.


And I am so glad that I get to see him enjoying them.

{And I don’t feel bad, I choked up just looking at it, too.}

1 comment:

slt said...

Yeah, definitely choked up too! Great post Leah!