Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Nerd Herd

Oh.man. Do I love to learn.

But only about things I wanna learn about.

For years, I have worked out for hours at a time on my treadmill or elliptical while reading books. And in those years (we are talking like 4 or 5 years of this now) I have read hundreds and hundreds of books.

In that time, only a handful have been educational.

(One of which, I am currently reading - It’s one of those nonsensical, parenting how-to books that most people tell you will never work, but it comes highly recommended, so what can I say...)

But in the 4 or 5 years of reading while exercising, Techy has suggested, advised, recommended, admonished, rebuked, and even scolded me for not utilizing those hours and hours to learn something while exercising.

And admittedly, I see his side, I do.

But I can’t handle hours of exercise with a dull book. I get bored far too easily. I used to try to listen to music. But that’s dull, too. And I went through a tv watching phase, but alas that didn’t work. (When mom and I used to go to the gym together, we started watching the same Elvis video everyday and making fun of it. Man, that’s a fun memory I almost forgot. It was like a collection of hits and there were tons of clips of him standing on one side of the screen while his face faded in and out on the other side of the screen. That must have been the height of video editing in the early 80’s. They did that in like every music video back then. Check it out. Dolly Parton, Kenny Rogers, Elvis, Johnny Cash…they all have similar videos, it’s ridiculous)

So book reading it is. And I like to read for entertainment. Not to learn. (I have had a Jillian Michaels weight loss book sitting on my dresser for months now that I haven’t even picked up because it would probably be too boring to read.)

So mostly, I read romance novels or comedies, or my Bible, because man, reality is better than fiction sometimes! (See if you can find the story of Dinah and Shechem...man oh man, talk about drama! That should be made into a Lifetime Movie. I mean, really!)

Sorry Techy for continuing to fail you, but as soon as I finish this parenting book, I have got to get my hands on another fun book. This learning thing is for the birds.

1 comment:

ceejus said...

i wonder if he'd still insist you're wasting your time with uneducational books if you weren't working out. like if you just took an hour to sit down and read every day, if he'd tell you it was a waste of time. in any case, shenanigans. if you knew that a workout meant reading a boring book, you'd be less inclined to work out, and might not work out at all. and we all know how down on yourself you get when you don't work out at all...