Friday, June 25, 2010

Beauty from Ashes

As I was tagging (i.e., labeling) my blog earlier this week, I realized something sad. My "Soul Searching" posts are seriously lagging. And I made up my mind to make a better effort of giving a little more of a nod to God.

And then yesterday happened.

And now, today, I had a chance to see God working again.

I will try not to get bogged down in the details, but this story is just incredible.

Back in December, right before Little Man was born, one of the ladies I work with, Mary, went out for some surgery. It was just a minor surgery, but during her recovery, she started getting violently ill. And then one day, she passed out.
Then more headaches and sickness. A visit to the doctor. Stomach virus.

4 days later, she went to another doctor, who sent her for tests and a CAT scan. She had had an aneurysm. She was immediately sent to Jefferson in Philly for surgery. They doctors didn't give her much of a chance. Hers was a very serious case.

Multiple surgeries, rehab stints, hospital stays, and more rehab visits later, she is almost fully recovered. A walking miracle to say the least. Her story is incredible. There were days we never thought we would see Mary again. Let alone see her walking through the front doors of this building. And yes, I cried when I saw her. She cried. Our other coworkers cried. We are women, what else could be done.

It's just another reminder of what a big God we serve. And even when we have little or no hope, He still has all the power.

I am again reminded of one of my favorite passages of Scripture:

The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me,
because the LORD has anointed me
to preach good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners,
to proclaim the year of the LORD's favor
and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn,
and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
instead of ashes,
the oil of gladness
instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
instead of a spirit of despair.
-Isaiah 61:1-5

Thankful for the beauty from the ashes

No comments: