Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Blip vs. Bullhorn

Today is supposed to be Helpful-How-To's.

And I had one planned.

But like I said on Monday...

I tend to blog about things that I am obsessed with concerned about.

And today, the only thing on my mind is my mom.

Because yesterday, I almost lost her.

Yesterday, around 3:30, while I was feeding Baby Girl, my phone rang.

It was daddy.

And usually, I would panic.

He never calls me.

But yesterday, I just thought, Yes, Dad, I'm going to join the NRA as soon as possible...

And then I said, "Hello?"

"Leah?!  Hey!  Your momma's been in a really bad accident.  She's ok...at least I think she's ok.  She's talking and stuff, but they wouldn't let her walk and she's on the way to the hospital, she ran off the road and a fence post came through the windshield right next to her head, went clean through the car and busted out the back window...LEAH??  ARE YOU THERE???"

I was too busy dry heaving to respond, Daddy...sorry about that....

"Yeah, Dad, I'm here.  She's ok?"

"I think so, I mean, she's on her way to the hospital now and they are going to do tests to make sure....  You ok?"

"Yeah, Dad.  You ok?"

"Yeah.  I'm fine.  You should see the car....  I don't know how....  I'll call you when I get to the hospital, ok?"

And then I got this in a text:


Um...

HOLYCRAPBATMAN.

First of all, how is my mom's head still attached?

I got that picture and I fell apart.

You know, AFTER I knew she was alive, I fell apart.

The thing is, I tried to call my mom 4 times yesterday morning.

And I gave up after the 4th try.

And for all I knew she could have still had some serious injuries.

And I had no way of reaching her.

And I had given up when I had the chance.

I literally shook all over, broke into a sweat and burst into tears.

I scared Baby Girl half to death with all the weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth.

And I didn't get to talk to my mom until 9 pm last night.

I'm still a bit...off...about all of it.

I took alot for granted yesterday.

And got a helpful reminder that I shouldn't do that.

Sometimes these things can tend to be just a blip on the radar of life....

But I'm going to try to take it as more of a blaring bullhorn of a wakeup call.

And thank Jesus that she still has a head, she still can talk to me, and that I can still race home to get a giant hug from her as soon as I can catch the first flight.

She's the best mom I've ever had, and I'm not quite ready to let go of that....

Now, go give your mom (or any mother roles in your life) a giant hug and kiss.

And cherish every moment - you just never know what tomorrow may bring....