Thursday, September 2, 2010

Is it a book review? Or is it a commentary?

When my friend, Kait suggested insisted I borrow her copy of "Such a Pretty Fat" because it was too hysterical to put down, I was all.about.it.  ALL.ABOUT.IT.

If you Google said book, you will come up with this:

A NOTE FROM JEN LANCASTER (the author): "To whom the fat rolls, I'm tired of books where a self-loathing heroine is teased to the point where she starves herself skinny in hopes of a fabulous new life. And I hate the message that women can't possibly be happy until we all fit into our skinny jeans. I don't find these stories uplifting; they make me want to hug these women and take them out for fizzy champagne drinks and cheesecake and explain to them that until they figure out their insides, their outsides don't matter. Unfortunately, being overweight isn't simply a societal issue that can be fixed with a dose healthy of positive self-esteem. Its a health matter, and here on the eve of my fortieth year, I've learned I have to make changes so I don't, you know, die. Because what good if finally being able to afford a pedicure if I lose a foot to adult onset diabetes?"
Source

Clearly, this was a book that I would understand. 

A book that I could LOVE while bobbing up and down on my elliptical. 

And then I started the book. 

Don't get me wrong, but for a week solid, everytime I have hit my elliptical with said book, I am starving within 2 seconds.  Seriously.  RA.VEN.OUS.

The tantalizing descriptions of her love affair - there is really no other word - with food leaves me dying to get off the elliptical and on the phone to anyone who can get me a giant plate of pasta ASAP.

She's hysterical.  And honest.  And she uses very strong language.  But she says it just like it is. 

But this leads me to ask the question, why do I identify myself with my weight. 

Why do I let myself be bogged down by the fat?

Seriously.

It's ridiculous.

Do you know, I have only donned a bathing suit 3 times this summer?  (Well, since vacation)

When asked to "bring my suit!" I automatically say, "Oh, no thanks, I won't be swimming."

I have posted about a thousand weight loss posts since Little Man arrived.

Some would say I am even {gasp} obsessed with it.... 

Well, I have my reasons. 

You should know that. 

My mother had to have gastric bypass about 8 years ago. 

I come from a long line of diabetics.

But really, when it comes to my personal view of ME, I could stand to be a little more like Jen Lancaster, who insists that her beauty is not identified with a number on the scale.   I might possibly even don a bathing suit {gasp} before this glorious summer sun disappears for the glorious autumn splendour that's about to hit us any day now.  (I believe it, I do.  Despite the 95 degree heat we are still suffering through!  Fall is COMING!)

That being said, if you should catch me in a swim suit in the next few weeks (since my father in law just had a pool installed...) please be kind enough to overlook the dimples in my thighs and let me enjoy it. 

I will get the weight off eventually, but I am desperately trying to enjoy the time I have right now.  Thigh dimples and belly fat or not.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Yay! Such healthy insight and self-respect! :) I need to look for this book!