Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Long Time Member

I have been a member of my church for more than 4 years now. 

I have been attending my church for almost 5 years.

I have been involved in multiple ministries.

Children's ministry.

Youth ministry.

Served on committees.

Spoken in business meetings. 

Helped in several different ministry efforts ranging from cleaning for events, to moving to our new building. 

And do you know that after all that, approximately once a month someone says to me, "Welcome! Are you new to this church?"

Yes, we have 2 services.  Yes, most of them are older. 

But most of them I have met multiple times, served side by side with, and still they ask me....

It is so humorous to me. 

I know their names, I know their kids' names, and I know their grandkids' names.  And they have no idea who I am.

Part of me wonders if it is because I didn't grow up in this church. 

And part of me wonders if their brains are just too full of other people's names and faces.

And part of me just assumes they are old....

And I do realize that this probably means that in 40 years, I will be JUST like them. 

Oh, the lucky youth worker that I will torture.... 

1 comment:

Megan // Honey We're Home said...

Just saw your blog and your ADORABLE baby!!!!! Had to let you know how cute he is, but I know you already know:)