Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Helpful How-To: Amazingly Cheap And HEALTHY Dinner

Despite what you might be thinking right now, I am not stealing from The Mommy Therapy's
weekly recipe-ish's.

Because, really, that's just a tough act to follow.

And I don't want to try.

But what I do want to do is brag about something that I:

1. Came up with on my own.  Call me Pioneer Woman. 

Actually, now that I think about it, I am sure she has done something like this on her blog, but then again, what hasn't she done? 

Also, I can't wait for her tv show to premiere, so I can figure out what exactly I can do with 121 lbs. of butter.

She's pretty much my hero.

And my best friend.

Don't believe me?

As if this isn't proof enough....



Look at the love she had for the unborn Little Man...

Ahhhhh.

2.  Can enjoy for less than 7 Weight Watchers points.

If you have ever done Weight Watchers, you know that it's almost impossible to make a pasta dish for less than a hundred bazillion points.

I mean, really, the Weight Watcher's frozen entree's have more points than that.

And less pasta than a steakhouse.

Just saying.

3.  I can make it for like $3 TOTAL.

You just can't beat that kind of deal.

So, I know you are now saying, how can I make this amazingly delicious and nutritious meal?

And this is where I bestow my wealth of information on you.

You should be thankful.

It goes something like this.

1 lb. roll of Italian Seasoned Jennie-O Ground Turkey ($1.78 at Wal-Mart)

1 box of Great Value Whole Wheat Pasta ($.98 at Wal-Mart)



1 can of Rotel tomatoes ($.87 at Walmart)




1 package of Green Giant Frozen Spinach ($1 at Wal-Mart)




A dab of olive oil and parmesan cheese, both of which I don't count the price of since I only buy them like once or twice per year. 

I am assuming that everyone else is the same as me and keeps this kind of thing in your pantry at all times....

First of all, brown the meat.

Then drain it.

Because even turkey leaves extra fat sitting in the pan....

Then divide it in half (we usually only use a quarter of it, because we're uber economical like that).

Save half of it for tomorrow's dinner.

And throw the rest back in your skillet with a little olive oil, half of your tomatoes (you can save the rest for tomorrow's dinner too...), and a quarter of your pack of frozen spinach.

(Look at all this food we are saving for future dinners!)

Stirring until the spinach is separated and cooked....hopefully you know what that means. 

Cause there really is no other way to describe it.

In the mean time, boil some water and cook your pasta.  (I would suggest only cooking half your box of pasta at most....  Who knows, you might like this meal so much you want to make it again tomorrow.  Especially since you have all your ingredients ready and available...not that I would ever...)

And while that's happening, you should probably play a few moves of Words with Friends with me (username's leahmpeck).

Then drain your noodles and toss with your meaty, tomatoey, spinachy mixture

And toss in a couple dabs of parmesan cheese, stir, and serve.

Your husband will think you are a Kitchen Goddess.

Not to mention a Money Saving Diva.

And you?

You get to eat your delish dinner, knowing that it's healthy and delicious.

And your hips will thank you in the end.

And then you can thank me.

And then maybe I can give some love to your unborn child....

1 comment:

tarynddavidson said...

this sounds yummo. i will try it and get back to you on that. but since i am done with unborn children, what do i get out of this?
Oh, and i am beating you at words with friends ;) in case you hadn't noticed.