Monday, June 13, 2011

Dear Disney, ALL of Your Films NEED to end With a Kiss from Prince Charming. Trust me...

This weekend my mom and I had a much needed opportunity to sit and talk.

And laugh.

Alot.

It was probably only an hour or two after everyone else had gone to bed, but it was wonderful.

We joked and laughed about things she never knew about me (like how my baby sister told me about the birds and the bees in the deli section of our local supermarket) and some things I never knew about her.  Like the time that she spoke at a County Boardmeeting about the need to stop rezoning the town so that our farmers would stop losing their land....  Who knew?!

But one fo the stories she told me made us both laugh so hard we were in tears.

Apparently, when she was about 11 years old, her teacher sent her home with a note about a Girl Scout's sponsored movie night at school for all the girls.

She assumed that they wouldn't go.

Because they never really participated in any of the extracurricular functions if sports weren't involved.

However, the next day, she went back to school with a signed permission slip. 

She AND her motherwould be going to the movie night.

And when she got to school, she found out that all of her friends were going too.

Along with all of their mothers.

She was so excited, she could hardly stand it.

Truthfully, they all were.

It was with much anticipation that they awaited this amazing bonding opportunity.

Finally, the day arrived.

They were all in their seats early.

And before you know it the Girl Scout leaders had turned off the lights and started the film....


At the end of the film, the scout leaders began tossing feminine napkins into the audience of 11 year old girls and their mothers.

Mom was horrified.

What had happened to the happy-go-lucky movie she had been looking forward to?

Because it ended with what is the equivalent of a death sentence to an 11 year old - the promise of bleeding from your crotch every 28 days and free-flying feminine napkins.

Good try, Disney and Girl Scouts of America.

But this is no fairy tale ending.

(I'm sharing this over at Serenity Now, because really, who wouldn't enjoy knowing that Disney made a period movie????)

Weekend Bloggy Reading

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh my gosh...I can just picture that night!!!!!!!!!!!! What a memory!

So glad you had such a fun time with your Mom.

Anonymous said...

A little less pep? But just keep smiling and being even tempered! And keep those organs in line by never slouching!
~Clearly produced by men.

the cape on the corner said...

oh my gosh, that is horrifying! your poor mom who thought she was going to an innocent movie with friends!

stefanie cunnington said...

All I can say is, wow!
Those are the kind of things we get to laugh about later though:-)

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Oh, my, gawsh!! They did something like that in my school when I was in 5th grade. The moms all came in and it was so embarrassing!! Who knew Disney made this movie??! Crazy!

Krishna said...

Oh my!!!!!! How hilarious...I remember them doing something like this when I was in 5th or 6th grade. At the time I was horrified! I will never forget the counselor saying when you need to go to the bathroom you can hold your tampon string out of the way & I thought NEVER! I had no idea Disney made this!