Monday, April 18, 2011

And the Beat Goes On

First of all, thank you very much, old-school Brittney Spears for the title of this post.

This is a running post.

And you guys are going to think I have lost my mind.

You know, if you don't already assume that.

Which is highly probable.

But I honestly thought I had capped off my running at last week's 10 miler.

And then a few things happened.

Like being offered the opportunity to run a half marathon.

In 2 weeks.

Yes.

I know.

Half marathon.

Isn't that 13.1 miles?

Yes, yes....

Let's all take a minute to appreciate the fact that I will officially be doing something that a few months ago I said I wouldn't be doing.

But alas, I am not preggers yet, so....

Why turn down the opportunity to run it?

I can't think of one good reason.

So I said yes.

And changed my plans from running a 6 miler yesterday to 11.

And with the help of my running buddy, Amber, we did it.



And yes, it was tough. 

As in, Taio Cruz was screaming through my headphones "DYNOMITE!" and I was still thinking, "wouldn't it be fun to stop and walk for a few miles".

Thankfully, Ke$ha saved the day and got me distracted wondering where she got a necklace with Jesus on it.

Seriously, though, I felt every step after the first 3 miles.

Possibly because we ran the first 3 miles at a 9:30 pace despite the hills that we were running.

But we still finished. 

And we finished strong.

Just over my goal 10:30 pace.

With only 2 brief - and I mean tinier than a supermodel's jean size - water breaks to refill our awesome water bottles.
Sidenote/Credit: if you are a runner and you haven't tried these water bottles, stop what you are doing and order one.  RIGHT NOW.

And now, I am officially capped out for my pre-race long runs.

After this, I have to run a 9 mile run, which I will do next Sunday (after travelling 6 hours...Techy is gonna love me!)

And then the race.

In 2 weeks.

And then 2 weeks later, I am running a leg of the Delaware Marathon Relay with Team Dealcatcher.

At that point, I think that 6.55 miles should be remarkably enjoyable in comparison.

1 comment:

CJ said...

Extremely proud of you and all you've accomplished. You'll do great.