Monday, May 16, 2011

Delaware Marathon Relay - "Catching" the Competition

I am so bad with titles.

I am also bad with blogging.

Don't let that keep you from reading, k?

This weekend I ran in the Delaware Marathon Festival.

I ran the relay portion and I ran with some pretty awesome people. 

Ever heard of

Oddly enough, we had never met before Saturday, but I knew I would like them.

And I did.

You know, except for the fact that no one sent me the memo about wearing a hat.


I'm trying not to bitter.


They were awesome! 

And we totally looked legit with our awesome shirts.

Race day started out like any other.  EARLY.

I was up at 5 am. 

So was Little Man.

Who NEVER wakes up that early.

Except for the one day that I don't have time to do anything about it.

Oh well.  It didn't take long for him to figure out that he likes sleeping a whole lot more than crying.

I was out the door by 6 AM, after reassuring myself that I did, in fact, know where I was going. 

By 6:30 I was parked and standing in the longest portapotty line I have seen since my days with the travelling circus.

Oh.  Wait.  That wasn't me.

Ok, so since my days Civil War Reenacting.

That's legit.

There had to be 200 people in line for the john's.

But I ran into this girl...

(ugh. I have to remind myself that my face is too round for this do!)

So it's all good. 

And by the time I was done with my business, it was time to head over to the starting line.

I was running the first leg of the relay for our team.

And start time was 7:05 a.m. 

Being the dutiful runner that I am, I was at the start line at 7:03 ready to go....


It was a lovely day.

No sunshine.

Perfect for a run.

If you ask me, anyway.

And then we were off!

Not, of course, without me getting yelled at by the announcer for "texting" while I was trying to get across the starting line.

Obviously, she doesn't know what Runkeeper is.  And technically, I probably shouldn't try to tell her since that can be frowned upon in these types of situations.

It was easily one of the wettest runs of my life.

Oh, wait, did I mention that we were running through some of the thickest fog we've had in months?

Or the fact that it rained buckets and buckets the night before?

Which means nothing until I tell you that I jumped right into a puddle within the first quarter of a mile.

Again, this means nothing to you until you have to run 6.3 miles in soaking wet sneakers and socks.

But really, I can't complain...

I mean, it didn't rain on me.

And our course was spectacular.

Before long city streets gave way to the Brandywine Park, which is gorgeous. 

I have to say, though, in the fog and with the smells coming from the Brandywine Zoo, there were moments were I started looking for this guy behind me.

(Truthfully, between the fog and my sweat, I probably looked a little like her at this point, too.)

But before I could get too serious about my concerns we were past the zoo.

And then the hills....

Oh the hills. 

The last 2 miles of the race was all uphill, downhill, up another giant hill, down, up a MOUNTAIN then down.

But then it was over.

Or my part was over. 

And my goal of staying at a 9:30 or less was accomplished.

This is a total PR for this distance.

Not bad, all things considered.

Success is sweet.

But not as sweet as getting to hang around watching your team mates finish while you eat free food and do nothing.

But what's next? 

I have no races on my horizon right now and I feel a little weird about that.

Like lost.

Kinda like Kermit and the Muppet Babies must feel these days.

Like "It was a good run, but now what?"

Maybe more like Alf....

But you get it.


So many unknowns keep me from being able to plan for "next".

So for now, I will probably be spending my summer running for the fun of it.

And I guess I am ok with that.

Overall, I am most definitely ok with finishing on this high note.

(that's what she said)

No comments: