Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Helpful How-To: Kissing Balls

Get your mind of the gutter....

I happen to be talking about the cutest little decorations ever.


And the flowers are just one example.

I've seen them made out of everything from moss



To sea shells


And since I have nothing but endless weddings in my future this summer....

And wedding decor happens to be on my mind.

And I may have, at one time, offered to help decorate for someone's wedding....

I decided to try my hand at them.

Only my take is a little different.

And a little more "green" than some of the other options out there.

Let's just go with it, k?

Let me think I am being green by ripping the pages from an old book and punching round shapes out of them, k?

Here's the result of that effort.



A pile of eco-friendly old book pages....

And yes, I needed one of these. 


But at least I am not using plastic flowers AND a styrofoam ball, right?

And then my hot glue gun.

Next thing you know, I had this.



And since this is a helpful how to...

Let me tell you HOW TO....

Step one, pinch - DO NOT FOLD - your paper circle in half.

Step 2, pinch - DO NOT FOLD - your half circle in half. 

(Folding makes the paper lay flat.  And the one thing you want the paper to do is NOT BE FLAT.  Think of it like Dolly Parton's hair. Fluff is where it's at.)

Now you have a fluffy quarter circle. 

Add some glue to the pointy end of your "fluffy quarter circles" (don't you love how I create new names for this stuff?) to hold it together and then glue the pointy end of your "fluffy quarter circles" to the styrofoam ball.

Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

Until your ball is covered.

Glue a little ribbon in the top.

And hang.

(I added a couple dabs of color here and there by adding in a little fabric, but it wasn't necessary.)

And ta-da!

You're Done!


3 comments:

tarynddavidson said...

adorable! very creative.
*that's not the only thing with "fluff" on Dolly*

Chantel said...

I hope those pages weren't from The Host!

Roberta said...

well ya know you had me at balls ;P Don't know what it is about our fascination with balls...a.k.a. "spheres" in the decorating world...but you just can never have enough.