Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Helpful How-To: Rebuilding the Closet

Remember last year when I redecorated our office?


It's been a little less than a year of us living with our office in a closet.


And yes, we have loved it.

But yet again, our needs have changed.

Meaning it's time to turn our closet back into a closet....

And this weekend, we started the process....

Wanna know how?

I'll lay it down for you.

In three special steps - Special Agent Oso style. (way too much Disney Jr. for this mommy!)


Step 1.  Clean out the closet!!!!

Step 2.  Pick out a closet kit!!!

Step 3.  Install the kit!!!

If only I had a Paw Pilot to help us with the nitty gritties....


But since I don't, I guess my Ryobi drill will have to do.

Step 1. Clean out the closet.


It started like this....

With the computer monitors coming down and the computer desk being removed.

Next came the wall art.

And all the screws holding it all up....

Everything but the shelves.

The shelves are staying put. 

For now.

And once that was all done, we were ready for step 2.

Step 2.  Pick out a closet kit.

I would like to say that I was super picky about the closet system going into this closet.

That I read reviews online and priced out the best bang for our buck.

What actually happened was I took a $100 gift card that I had won from DIY Diva, headed off to Lowe's and picked out this kit.



Now, our closet is a 9 ft. closet, but considering the shelves, I knew I would only use space for an 8 ft. system.

And this kit was only $114.

And thanks to No Sales Tax Delaware, I spent exactly $14 of my own money on this system.

Can't do much better than that.

Here's what I like about the system: 

Everything can be easily repositioned due to the tracks.

Oh, how I love the TRACKS.

Everything snaps in and out so smoothly.

What I don't know about the system yet:

If it snaps in and out so easily, will it stay put?

I don't know, yet.

But I'll let you know.

Moving on to step 3.

Step 3.  Install your kit.

Here's where it gets kind of tricky.

Especially if you are pregnant and are suffering the maladies of morning/all day sickness.

Which is where your next sub-step comes in....


You should probably try to con your cranky husband and over-eager brother to take the reigns while you play words with friends.

It worked for me.

But you should know, the step by step instructions are only so helpful.

Which may cause your cranky husband to become even crankier.

So once it comes time to arrange the shelves, you should definitely take over. 

And in the end, you might be lucky enough to end up with something that actually looks like a closet.



Maybe not your dream closet, but a closet all the same.

And for now, IT WORKS!

Which is pretty much all I was going for....

A closet with storage and shelves....

Sounds so simple, but oh the joys it has brought us!

And no one died in the process.

So there you have it.

A successful how-to!

No comments: