Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A Heavy Heart

Today I have a heavy heart.

I just received word that my Aunt's mother, who has been battling leukemia for more than a year now, has been told she is losing her battle.

According to the doctor, her days are numbered.

She has been sent home to pass in peace.

He has given her 2 weeks...2 short weeks.

But it is not for her that I ache.

Her testimony is such that I am confident a far better destiny awaits her.

It is for her family that I ache.

Namely my Aunt's sister - Cathy.

Cathy is a fifty-something woman who has spent her life in the shadows of disability.

Cathy has Down's Syndrome.

For those of you who have never been touched by anyone with Down's Syndrome, I am sorry for you.

Their innocent souls are among the most untainted and beautiful things I have ever been acquainted with in my life.

But Cathy, despite the beauty of her innocence, lives in a world of fear and nervousness.

And over the last year, she has watched her mom leave the house numerous times to not return for weeks with no real understanding of the concept.

No one has told Cathy that her mom is sick, but she knows. 

But does she know how sick?

Cathy is anything but foolish....

I'm told that yesterday morning, as her church service was coming to a close, Cathy made her way from her seat - which has always been at the front of the church - to the altar.

Where she sat and cried praying for her Mommy.

My cousin went to sit with her and talked with her a few minutes to make sure she was ok, and then after praying together for "Cathy's Mommy" with tears in their eyes, they both walked back to their seats.

The next few weeks, as "Cathy's Mommy" begins her quiet descent into eternity, will not be easy on the family, but as much as my heart hurts for the family, my heart aches for Cathy.

I ask you, Friends, to join me in prayer for Cathy over the next few weeks and months ahead?

Please pray that God may comfort the family and make them all strong and ready to face the challenge of losing their wife, mommy, grandma, aunt, and sister.

Pray for strength for Cathy.

And please, pray for a peaceful passing?

And may we all be reminded that the God we serve is a God who promises beauty from ashes:

Isaiah 61:1-3

The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me,
because the LORD has anointed me
to proclaim good news to the poor.
He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
to proclaim freedom for the captives
and release from darkness for the prisoners,
to proclaim the year of the LORD’s favor
and the day of vengeance of our God,
to comfort all who mourn,
and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
to bestow on them a crown of beauty
instead of ashes,
the oil of joy
instead of mourning,
and a garment of praise
instead of a spirit of despair.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
a planting of the LORD
for the display of his splendor.

No comments: