Thursday, November 5, 2009

Switching Sides

I don't know how anyone does it. It is one of the more difficult things I have ever attempted. When the weight of the world is on you and you just have to change your point of view for some relief. The pain, the raw ache, the agony of it all. I am, of course, referring to trying to roll over in bed these days. Think I am kidding? Try having a 40 lb. bowling ball strapped to your stomach and let the fun begin! It's ridiculous! I am pretty sure beached whales have looked more glamorous floundering on the beach.

Not that I care how I look, anymore. I have determined that what I look like is absolutely the least important thing in my life right now. That isn't to say that I don't fix up...I try, but there is only so much one can do! I only have 4 pair of pants that still fit, and I have about 4-5 long-sleeve shirts. Without doing multiple loads of laundry per week, I could possibly look like a hobo or a misplaced beach bum. All that to say, I am getting as creative with my wardrobe as I am with the contents of my cupboards these days. (I haven't had the time or energy to go grocery shopping in almost a month)

Don't take me wrong, pregnancy isn't all bad. One thing I can say for pregnancy--it definitely teaches you to be thankful for the things you took for granted before. Things like single digit sizes, any amount of time without food on the brain, sleep that isn't interrupted by a full bladder, being able to stay in any one position (whether sitting, standing, lying down, etc.) without getting a backache and swollen feet, bending over...I think you get the gist.

Not that I don't enjoy being pregnant. I did...weeks 4 to 6 and weeks 12 to 24 were great. It was fun, even. I got attention from people, I felt great, I looked great (in spite of some crazy acne that popped up--I blame the hormones), and I slept--oh, how I slept. For the first time in my life, I had the most wonderful, luxurious, restful sleep. Trains could have barrelled through my bedroom, and I wouldn't have noticed!

But alas, those days are gone. I am 32.5 weeks, and as I said before, counting the days. We found out yesterday that Little Man is already about 4.5 lbs. and is head-down, meaning he has started his progression. Part of me is terrified of things to come, but part of me doesn't care! I just want to be able to switch sides in the middle of the night without feeling like I am shifting the world's largest water balloon across my bed.

52 days...52 days...52 days

(By the way, that means that Christmas is exactly 50 days away, so time to get shopping!)

No comments: