Friday, November 13, 2009

"Surviving" the "Reality"

I have developed a recent love for must see tv, including, but not limited to reality television. Last year, Techy and I got a free DVR upgrade in our new cable package, and in order to fit in with convo's at the water cooler, we started DVRing some of the more popular shows...the Office, Survivor, House, American Idol.... Needless to say, we love it.

This is a copy of an email I sent my sister earlier today. (Spoiler alert if you have not seen Survivor this week!)


"Oh my gosh...I honestly thought I was going to hate this season, but it is amazing. Allow me to catch you up....

Last night, they turned the tables big time. Russell (who I really DESPISED at the beginning of the game) continues to find immunity idols without any clues. They just got to the merge last week with 8 on one side (team Galu) and 4 on the other(team Foa Foa). Last week, the smaller team that Russell(FF) is on convinced the bigger team(G) that they needed to vote off their strongest player because he was really manipulative. That brought it down to 7(G) and 4(FF). In the meantime, Shambo (who is by far the biggest idiot ever as well as a member of the larger tribe-G) hates her team and loves Russell's team. It was an easy transition for them to swing her to their side, her whole team hates her and she hates them. Making the totals more like 6-5 right?

Stick with me now... Last night, Russell found his second immunity idol with NO CLUES. Meanwhile, the other team completely hates him and tried to vote him off using ALL their votes on him. And what did Russell's team do? Of course, they all knew about the idol and were banking on the other team trying to vote him off, so they ganged up and voted another member of the bigger team off.

BOO YEAH! They just leveled the playing field. With Shambo hating her own team, the game is now 5-5! I LOVE REALITY TELEVISION!"

I realize that I am a little overly passionate about it, but it makes me think.

I love it when something/someone that I interpret to be weak proves to be stronger than I ever thought possible, and I do not think that I am alone in that. I would say that many enjoy seeing the underdog overcome.

Right now, I identify with the underdogs.... I am tired, sore, weak, vulnerable and more scared than ever of the daunting responsibility that is mere weeks away. (44 days, to be exact) But I take comfort in the continued reminder that as a child of God, his "power is made perfect in weakness..." and "when I am weak, then I am strong". (2 Cor. 12:9-11)

(How sweet is that?! I think it deserves a fist pump, but probably from someone with a little less arm flab than I have, so one of you will have to do it for me...if you are even reading this...oh well...I guess He knows my intentions...)

Lord knows I am going to need some of that strength to shake up the reality that I will soon be living in!

No comments: