Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Helpful How-To: My Fall Burlap Wreath

I've made my share of burlap wreaths.

And just for the sake of fairness, I did it again.

How Britney Spears of me, huh?

Oops.

In my defense, this year I whipped up {quite possibly} the simplest one ever.




It's gorgeous, right?

Ruffles and burlap and crinkly ribbon.

Hanging on my front door.

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh.

It's like a recipe for long term decor affection, right?

And for the sake of my Helpful How-To's {that have fallen by the way side}, I thought I'd share it with you.

Because I'm supremely generous like that.

And I LOVE to see people copy me.

It's almost like being popular.

Almost.

But I digress.

Step 1:  Loosely follow this tutorial.

But rather than using two layers of burlap, used one.

Super easy.

(If you are el cheapo like me, you can pick up a simple wicker wreath at the dollar tree for - get this - A DOLLAR.  Shocking right???)

Step 2: Create crinkly ribbon.

Don't you love the word "crinkly"?

I do.

But probably only because it reminds me of french fries.

Which reminds me of how much I want french fries.

And then I remember that I live 7 minutes from McDonald's and they have a drive thru - no unloading the TWO children I have.

And then I remember that I'm trying to lose weight.

And now I'm in a bad mood.

So, lets recap.

Crinkly is a fun word until it reminds me of food I can't eat and now I hate the word crinkly.

Welcome to the inner workings, people.

INNER WORKINGS.

What was I talking about?

Oh yeah.  Crinkly {GRRRRRR} ribbon ring.

So, yeah.  To make that very imperfect center ring, I picked up a spool of 1/2" ribbon and gathered it using the same method as the burlap (loose stitches along one edge of the ribbon).

The end result is the crinkly ribbon you see in the center.


Now glue it on.*

Step 3.  Make a bow and glue it on top.

Same theory as tying your shoes.

Make a bow.

Hot glue it on.*

Step 4:  Hang on your door.

Preferably with a hook.

Although, my front door is weird, and I can't really hang a hook OVER it, I am pretty sure that those 3M hooks would do it.  For a while, anyway.



However, I cheated and just took advantage of my weird window bars.

Try not to be too jealous of my weird door.

Or my awesome wreath.

Just go make your own.

And thank me for bestowing this wealth of information on you.

I'm kind like that.

*(Warning: This can be VERY TRICKY.  Despite the fact that hot glue guns are tiny, I burn myself on the thing everytime I get it out.  Am I the only one here?  I can't really be the only one, here right???  AM I RIGHT????  HELLO????)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm not sure if this will comfort you or not, but I also tend to burn myself on those whenever I'm in the general vicinity of one. I've learned not to get them out unsupervised.