Monday, May 14, 2012

I Wore Black

Allow me to paint a picture...

In said picture, I've been up since 5:30 am and it's raining so my naturally curly hair is especially Dolly Parton-ish.

Baby girl is on my lap in a pretty little blue dress and wearing a ginormous blue bow on her head.  The kind of bow that Madonna was always looking for when styling her videos in the 80's.

Big. And bold.

Next to me sits Techy.

Who stayed up too late last night because police chase video shows are clearly as addictive as Lay's potato chips.

On his lap is a very hyper Little Man.

Apparently, the rain affects him the same way that eating after midnight affects gremlins.

Full on craziness ensues.

And we're in church.

Early.

Waiting for baby dedication Sunday to start.

All of us parents/babies are ushered into a special holding room prior to the big event.

Initially, it's just us and one other couple.

Then, the babies start pouring in.

Err, I should say families...Families start pouring in. 

Apparently at this church there is a no child left behind policy when it comes to baby dedication.

Sure Little Man is with us now, but there is absolutely no way we are taking that child on stage with us to shout, "I go pee pee in da potty, mommy" to the whole church!

He's only here until the nursery worker for his room shows.

Anyway, back to the families...

While families start rolling through the door, I begin to notice a distinct pattern.

They are all in white.

As in christening dress white.

Which would have been a nice idea, I guess, since this is as close as we Baptists get to a christening....

But for some reason it never occurred to me.

And as if that isn't bad enough, many families color coordinated.

As in siblings were also in white.

And, yes, even a couple moms.

The moment of realization was like a cold slap in the face.

In a few moments, we're going on stage in front of 1,000 people and my baby is one of the only ones not in white.

And Techy and I are both dressed in black.

Don't it just figure?

1 comment:

Fatinum said...

God doesn't see color! You taught me that!