Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Lifestyles of the not so rich and famous

So, last week when I called my mother and said, "Can you come get me this weekend?" I totally thought it was an awesome idea. I mean, it had been 3 and 1/2 weeks since the Little Man's arrival and I was totally psyched that I had kept him alive this long. Figured I deserved a little R&R. And once I go back to work, who knows when the next visit to Virginia will be.


Now I am rethinking things.


I am a walking, talking, living, breathing advertisement for Murphy's Law.


We arrived late Saturday evening with minimal travelling complications. Awaiting us were my mom, my sister and her 2 adorable children. We talked and laughed. I fed the baby. We enjoyed our visit. I noticed that my niece had a bad cough, but my sister reassured me that they had been to the doctor--it was the results of a sinus infection and she had been on antibiotics since last week. So life went on.


Sunday, my sister returned to mom's with her kids in tow. After an hour or so, my sister mentioned that her little one wasn't really eating or drinking. After a few more hours, she was coughing her little head off. I started to get a little nervous, but my sister reassured me yet again that she had been on antibiotics and any infection that she may have had would not have been contagious at that point.


Then, Monday morning happened.... When I opened my bedroom door, I was overwhelmed with the scent of bleach and lysol. On her way out the door, mom told me that my sister had called. They had taken my niece to the ER during the night where they diagnosed her with RSV - an extremely contagious disease that effects mostly babies and children - complicating their breathing. For infants, the disease is very dangerous.

Of course. Of course. Of course.

Techy was in no way happy about this visit to begin with. Now the "I told you so" oozes through the phone everytime we talk.

As difficult as it is to be home alone with a newborn, it is even more difficult to be away from home alone with a new baby. It was one thing when I was coming to spend time with my family. Now, my mom is spending her days at the hospital with my sister and the baby and daddy is at work. Oh, what luck I have.

No comments: